Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

I Am A Mormon Part 1; What the Blog

Hello! My name is Hannah Gunson. I'm a Nerdfighter, a theatre geek, a surfing beach bum, writer/editor extraordinaire, pop culture scholar, world class geek, and I'm a Mormon. I don't have horns, I don't have 5 moms, I don't drink, smoke, or swear. Have I mentioned that I'm about to serve a mission for my church?

I've been called to serve in the Fort Worth, Texas mission for a period of 18 months. I'll be knocking on doors, standing on metaphorical soapboxes, and basically making sure all of my area has heard of the Restoration of the gospel. I'm sure you've heard bits and pieces of what the LDS church is about. Probably because of Mitt Romney or the wildly popular (and wildly inaccurate) musical "The Book of Mormon." Trust me on this, folks, an LDS member will know more about their religion than Lord Google. Even our small, 5 year old members can tell you what we believe in.

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, in his son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. We believe that Joseph Smith, as a 14 year old boy, had a desire to know which church to join. When he prayed to God, the Father and the Son appeared to him and told him that none of the churches on the earth were true. In time, Joseph Smith translated the history of God's people in America. This record is called the Book of Mormon. We believe that this life is a probationary period, which means that there is an afterlife and that we are all given the chance live again with Heavenly Father when we die. We believe that there's eternal life after this temporal one.

Now you have a very very very basic understanding of what we're about.

Before you start unfollowing me and begin ignoring me, I'd like to explain what's going to happen over the next 18 months. You know, other than preaching my gospel to whoever will listen.

I've asked a very near-and-dear friend of mine to post my letters home here. I'll be emailing home, home will send out these letters, detailing my mission adventures, and she'll then post said adventures here for you to read about! And at the end of 18 months, I'll come home, answer questions you might have, and resume "regular blogging."

I appreciate your patience with this. This blog has been an outlet and something of value to me. Regardless of how many hits I get, it's still a nice place to talk. My mission will be a very pivotal point in my life, considering how difficult it is yet how rewarding it can be. And it's something I'd like to share with y'all.

I encourage you to share the things you find interesting. And if you have any questions, ask your local missionaries-- they can help.


No comments:

Post a Comment