Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Ich Bin Ein Texan.

So, Lantana is an interesting place. When they film a sequel to Stepford Wives, it'll be filmed here.

Things, while progressing, have been slow moving. Like molasses.... So Sister Christensen and I sat down and figured out how to make it move faster. So there was a lot of planning that went into this week. And a lot of... bureaucracy, I'm gonna say. Just trying to whittle down the ways we can do the work God has sent us here to do and build it up for the next missionary.

 But this week has done something to me. For a while there (you know, since May) I was "the Californian Missionary in Texas." I was a transplant that was brought in from over there and shoved into here. Functioning, but not really a part of the body. Not this week.

Every day, this whole week, I've woken up, done the day and gone to bed, feeling like this was where I belonged. Lantana, Double Oak, Bartonville, Argyle... Briana, Marta, Dakota, the Ward... it feels like my house. I know these people, I love these people, I know my area like I know Disneyland! And it has all come from spending and being spent here. It's not like I've been here for a forever, this is only my 3rd transfer here. It just feels like home.

The ocean will always have a place in my heart and I still love y'all too! but just letting you know, I'm different. When I first got here, people would ask "where'd you transplant from?" And that's because Texas wraps you up in a big hug and never lets go. I finally feel adopted into this big ol' state. I quote Ammon: "Yea, I desire to dwell among this people for a time; yeah perhaps until the day I die." (Alma 23:17) At some point in my life... I will probably move back to Texas. I really do like it that much.

And that's an awful lot like our purpose in life. We were born into mortality, into a carnal world. And we spend the entirety of our lives forsaking it. It's pretty flippin' hard to do, that's why Heavenly Father gave us so much time to do it. As happy as we think we will be doing what we want because we're young and #YOLO, you will never be as happy as God knows you could be if you would just listen. Follow the commandments-- are they really that hard? Considering what's being offered? Let's face it-- we were not meant to stay here. We're from someplace else. Like it or not, believe it or not, it's true. (go pray about it)

I have never felt more comforted or more at home than when I have been in church houses or temples. I have been in many of both but they are still my Father's house. That's where I belong, that's where YOU belong. Y'all better be there when I get there.

Have a great week!
Love, Sister Gunson

PS: I'll never have to give up the ocean -- Texas has one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment