Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

June (read: miracles) Is Busting Out All Over

Hey y'all!! 

Guys. Sister Kuli (my mission-daughter/new companion/greenie) is from the Marshall Islands. HOW COOL IS THAT?! President asked me to help teach her English. It's pretty good, but she's got a thick accent and some funny grammar. She makes me laugh so hard every day! She's supportive, positive and hard-working. We were doing some organized tracting (cleaning out our potential records) and she was saying "oh yeah, my brothers killed a shark once." 

".... Sister, your brothers did WHAT?!" 

"They killed a shark! We were swimming in the water and they saw a huge one! Bigger than that car *points to a pick-up truck* and they played with it and then stabbed it with that thing...what do you call it?" 

"A spear?" 

"Yeah! that's it!" 

Also, her 2 older brothers broke her boyfriend's leg because he made her cry... So Enzo, Rocky, step it up. 

In other news, miracles were busting out all over. I'll be honest, I think I forgot that they could happen with such magnitude. I was used to working my butt off for one small miracle. But then... the Lord decided to give me a break or something! Okay, here we go. 

Miracle #1: the first day/a surplus of gators
My first day in the mission field was rainy and we tracted all day with no success. Sister Kuli's first day, we cleaned out an entire apartment complex's potential record and got 3 return appointments. The next apartment complex we went to, we got 3 new investigators. The lessons we taught were powerful. We invited everyone to church and everyone to baptism. They all said yes. Of course.... nobody wanted to set a date, but hey, when God gives you miracles, you don't really haggle haha. 

We ended up helping the AP's out with one of their investigators. She lives in our area and wanted to talk to "the girls." So even though we're teaching her, we're trying to get her to go to the YSA ward. It's really cool though. It proves to me we're all doing the Lord's work. And it doesn't matter which vessel the Lord uses. 

Got to meet with Murphy, he's looking for a July baptismal date. We picked up 2 teenagers from Liberia, Libe and Ria are 16 and 17 and they just ATE the gospel right up. We talked about the Plan of Salvation and they were all for it. We're seeing them tonight! 

Miracle #2: The Ward, Ward Council and Ward Mission Leader 
Usually when we teach a lesson after dinner, we spend a lot of time trying to get people to want to do missionary work and finding a "baby step" they can take to get to a larger goal. Well, we had 2 dinner appointments come to US and say "hey, I need your help with something..." and then proceeded to tell us--WITHOUT PROMPTING-- about what they're trying to do, who they're trying to work with, and where their problems are. I'm sorry if my jaw dropped to the floor, lemme just pick that up, oh wait I can't, it's still there because this past Ward Council was one of the best ones I've ever had. Missionary work is speedily picking up. And then our WML made me feel really good by applauding our work for the week. He told the elders we split the ward with that we were on fire and that we're not gonna slow down. Not to brag-- because it's not our sparks we are encompassed by, but our Father's--  but it's just nice that somebody other than Heavenly Father can see all the work we go through during the week. And appreciates us and says "good job." 

Miracle #3: True Grit is getting baptized this saturday. Sister Morrill gets to come back and speak at it. I got to fill out her baptismal form (because her interviewer had to run after the interview, so he let me do it). As I was filling it out, True Grit said "do you know how many missionaries wanted to fill this form?" I was incredibly humbled. She's been through 6 years worth of missionaries from 2 different states. And I, some punk picked off the streets of Santa Barbara, got to watch her sign her name at the end of it. I heard the chorus of a million angles singing in triumph. It was unbelievable. 

WE CAN DO ANYTHING GOOD! 
Have a great week! 
Love, Sister Gunson

No comments:

Post a Comment